Israel announces plan to seize ‘large areas’ in Gaza – latest updates | Israel-Gaza war


Gaza offensive expanding to capture ‘large areas’, says Israeli defence minister

Airstrikes continued on Gaza on Wednesday morning after the Israeli defense minister announced that Israel intended to expand its war. In a statement, Israel Katz said the offensive was “expanding to crush and clean the area of terrorists and terrorist infrastructure and capture large areas that will be added to the security zones of the state of Israel.”

The move has been condemned by the Hostages Families Forum, who said it appeared that Benjamin Netanyahu’s government were making the return of 59 hostages still held in Gaza by Hamas “a secondary task” that had been “pushed to the bottom of the priority list.”

In a post to social media, Katz said:

I wish success to the IDF soldiers who are fighting bravely and powerfully in Gaza for the return of the kidnapped and the defeat of Hamas. The goal of Operation “Strength and Sword” is first and foremost to increase pressure for the release of all the hostages in the face of Hamas’ refusal.

Expanding the operation this morning will increase the pressure on the Hamas murderers and also on the population in Gaza and advance the achievement of the sacred and important goal for all of us. I call on the residents of Gaza to act now to remove Hamas and return all the hostages. This is the only way to end the war.

The IDF has deployed an additional division to the area, and issued sweeping evacuation orders to the civilian population in the south of the Gaza Strip.

Medical sources in Gaza have told Al Jazeera that 21 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli attacks since dawn on Wednesday morning. The network has been banned from operating inside Israel.

Palestinian news agency Wafa has reported that extensive Israeli security operations have continued inside the Israeli-occupied West Bank, with one man shot dead by Israeli forces in Nablus, and Palestinians being detained by Israel’s forces in Hebron, Tulkarm and Nour Shams.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

The death toll from Israeli strikes on Gaza in the last few hours has been put at 21 by medical sources who spoke to Al Jazeera. At least 12 Palestinians were killed by a strike on a house in Khan Younis. Here are some of the latest images sent over the news wire.

Palestinian women inspect the site of an Israeli strike on a house, in Khan Younis. Photograph: Hatem Khaled/Reuters
A Palestinian woman accompanied by a child speaks at the site of an Israeli strike on a house in Khan Younis. Photograph: Hatem Khaled/Reuters
Mourners pray at Nasser hospital next to the bodies of Palestinians killed in the latest Israeli strikes. Photograph: Hatem Khaled/Reuters
Share


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *